Titleist Performance Institute put out an excellent video that includes some excellent green reading strategies. There is a lot to digest but it makes a lot of sense.
Here are the steps outlined in the video:
- Assess the shape of the green and where the low points on the sides of the green are.
- Walk the highest point or middle of the green and split the green into quadrants.
- Once it’s time to putt, isolate the quadrant you are in and focus on that.
- Walk to the ball and look at the line your putting on.
- Read the putt from low point and look especially at the 5 foot circle around the hole.
- Walk behind the hole and look from the hole to your golf ball.
- Commit to the putt.